Thread: the other news
View Single Post
Old 01.16.2019, 09:14 AM   #46
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I wonder how long some people will go on blaming the EU, immigrants, boats, earthquakes, Mexicans, gays, smelly people etc for problems obviously caused by the policies put in place by politicians elected in their respective countries. This contagious shitshow has been going on for a while, but it can't and won't go on forever.

Well, at some point people will be fed up with the real culprits. But in time those same instutions will put up (old) new smokescreens to gain the trust of a good amount of each respective population and as a result of that - power. Some people are easily deceived and swayed by the old game of pointing fingers and some catering to their fears. History has a penchant to repeat itself and unfortunately, people can be very shortsighted. I'm seeing it in Austria right now. 20 years ago the Conservative Party under the patronage of corporatists with clear rightwing leanings as well as the far right gained momentum during elections - which lead to their coalition. Within a few years they pretty much fucked up everything they touched. It was also during their leadership that some of the most infamous fiscal scandals in recent history took place. Judicial proceedings are ongoing. You'd think with something so fresh in people's collective memory - like literally being still reported about - they would know better than to elect such pseudo Gordon Geckos and perpetually grinning barrels full of sheer bigotry. 2017 however showed that the same scare tactics used in 1999 (oh those evil immigrants, it's all the fault of the EU) still work just fine with a good portion of the population. With the addendum that the Conservative Party now isn't even pretending to be a tad to the right of being neutral. Hell, they now have fully adopted a lot of the far right's talking points and policies. I recently visited my old home to look for mixtapes I had made sometime around 2004. While doing so, I found an old cassette with snippets of radio newscasts from early 2000. It seemed way to familiar to what's going on right now. Just exchange the names and the year and you could hardly tell the difference.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|