View Single Post
Old 03.25.2014, 01:41 PM   #34
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
and yet, "noise rock" is doing more tonally than schoenberg ever did, thanks to chaos, but nobody can tell me what structures are these

No. Unless you mean something specific. Noise rock tends towards being tonally limited; serial music (let's assume that's the side of Schoenberg you mean) is quite deliberately, self-consciously and pathologically not tonally limited.

Of course, it's possible you mean something do with accidentals and 'noise' (in the sense of 'impure' tones) being of greater import; I tend to see the outside of the tonal centre as critical but not imperative. MBV (because we all know them, not because they're exemplars of noise-rock or even part of that) have a shitload of not-tonal stuff - 'deliberate accidentals', perhaps - but in my view they're perenially sticking to staid formal arrangements, straight-up intervals and rigorous arrangements. (Which in my view is common and analogous to whatever noise rock means)

Anyway, I only came here to post this: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...ic_theory.html

Which does a couple of things, for me - it explains that there's a high degree of thought and care goes into what may appear to be an asinine song (and it can still be asinine after that's agreed upon) - the mainstream industry, being an industry, tends to pay a lot of attention to these details. I tend not to see that elsewhere in popular music (meaning a lot of rock music, in the broadest sense) but I realise that's both contentious and prejudicious of me. It also explains why people really don't want music theory - while this might be an exciting article insofar as it's relatively unusual, the novelty would quickly wear off as every song has its variations on standard tropes and journalism would end up being flat descriptions.

Generally speaking, I tend towards the idea that music theory is a specific, unrelated subset of music appreciation - by which I mean, while the process of appreciation might tacitly include it, it doesn't rely upon it. Certainly, that'd explain why most of you have such appalling taste in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|