View Single Post
Old 03.17.2016, 02:32 PM   #19187
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
There is racial insulting in all of Tarantino flicks. Just like Scorcese. The people they choose to write about ARE racist and bigoted. These are not educated people!

Agreed but he MILKS it. For example in Resevoir Dogs NOTHING in the film ever even remotely suggests that it is a problem or character flaw. Indeed if you didn't actually know Tarrantino you'd almost believe HE was racist for glorifying those characters flaws and all.. At least in Pulp Fiction we get the idea that the heroin dealer and that Jimmy are actually racist assholes (well less with Jimmy his wife was black but hey, maybe is one of those jungle love racists who actually sleeps with black people to demean them??)

Quote:

I love Reservoir Dogs for the audacity of it at the time it came out. It was like seeing the first Die Hard. Every scene was something new, shown to us in a new way, and not dictated by the standard tropes of hollywood filmmaking.

I agree that IN ITS OWN CONTEXT AND TIME PERIOD it was a radical kind of film. BUT I just don't think it stands the the test of time. It has not validity outside of its own time period. Some films are both a product of their era and yet also timeless. I just don't think Resevoir Dogs fits the bill and so I can't possibly rank it above the other Tarrantino flicks which DO survive a time and era change. Pulp Fiction is as good and relevant now as it was groundbreaking in 1994. Kill Bill still kicks ass today as much as it did ten years ago!

Quote:
There is some truly "hateful" racial shit in Hateful Eight... I think Tarantino likes to use these scenes to remind everyone about what many otherwise uplifted and nice white folks actually say when they are with "their own."

Yes but again, its not the presence of racism itself, its how does the film USE racism as a device. What is its role and function in the film? In Resevoir Dogs again I just don't see the racism in those characters being vilified enough.. Sure we can say, "Hey they are cold blooded killers and assholes so duh they suck as people" BUT clearly the film is intending to be a gangster flick that GLORIFIES and romanticizes such assholes. So why have them ALSO be racist?? Its a clear mixed message and it irks me EVERY SINGLE TIME i watch it..

Quote:
I mean, that whole scene where Tarantino himself rants about headless N+++++s and shit in Pulp Fiction is brutal to me too.... I did not and still do not think it nice....

See my above comment about his exact scene. Indeed in that scene is one where i particularly think that Tarrantino didn't understand the nuance between how Sam Jackson says "nigga" and how his own cameo character Jimmy says "nigger".. Possibly when he wrote it he intended Jimmy to have an inflection and pronounce it "nigga" to imply that Jimmy and Jules were tight the way that Marceles calls Vince "my nigga"??

Its like The Game said, "The word nigga ain't nothing like nigger one is slang for my brother one is hanging dead take a picture.."

Quote:
but then again, Traantino always tries to show the equal assholeness of people, regardless of color, and the equal deviousness of people, regardless of color. Everyone in his films is a liar of sorts....

True but again the question is, what purpose does racism as a device serve in his films? In Inglorious Bastards its clear the racists are BAD. In Pulp Fiction its less clear but we see its not exactly good. But in Reservoir Dogs? The lines are too blurred...

I think you have too much of an emotional and experiential attachment to the film and aren't seeing it for what it is.. And hey, that is cool, I respect your personal sense of TASTE but when we are doing a quality comparison of his filmography? I think we need to separate our personal tastes from the overall quality of the work itself.

Now I personally think Pulp Fiction is one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITE flicks, period. BUT, I can also analyze and evaluate it based on its own merits as much as my own personal enjoyment of it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|