View Single Post
Old 01.06.2016, 11:53 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Story bout New Years.

Me and my best friends are all around 40 yrs old. I still keep up with certain music, especially Houston rap stuff, and at New Year's party at friend's house, we were all lit and hanging out outside listening to music and having fun.

I kept asking them to play something more new... and they appeased me by playing Chedda's "Flicka Da Wrist" which is a ridiculous song but I love it and the beat is weird. My friends and their people were dumbfounded, and couldn't understand anything about the track. They asked me how I got into this and I told them I watch a local hip hop show called Streeet Flava late on Saturday nights (on for 20+ years) and that they play all these videos from local Texas/Louisiana acts. It is where I first saw Chedda, and Future and Rae Srummunddd(sp?) and Post Malone and all sorts of stuff.

They cut off the Chedda track about 2/3 of the way through and started playing some Biggie Smalls track and JESUS FUCK it was like someone had removed every bit of vitality and energy from the very air molecules. I have never ever felt such an odd disconnect from my best friends, and I have never ever felt so old. (I am the oldest of all my friends). the tgrack just felt SO OLD AND LIFELESS

It was very weird. I had to explain that all the bizarre vocal tics and grunts and "UUUHHRRRR!" noises as well as the rappers vocal inflection is based on the stuffed sinus voice you get from snorting coke all night (which most of them had done at some point in their lives) but they were shocked. several of them are teachers and it hit me when my wife said "you know they see their students listening to this stuff and they must not like it."

Just a weird experience. It takes hard work to reshape one's musical ear to enjoy new stuff. I did the work, and I appreciate the crazy tracks....but to see all my closest friends have such ossified eardrums? it was odd...

I had to explain several times what was meant by "flicka da wrist" and what cooking "pies" means.....