View Single Post
Old 01.14.2014, 07:11 PM   #17725
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Well, blow me down with a feather - it's also on YouTube - http://youtu.be/YrAlBrWpDSw

Have stuck it onto my "to watch" pile on there - will let you know what I make of it 2nd time round.

I'd agree with you on the either/or thing - there's room for both the grindhouse and the arthouse (if you see what I mean) - in fact you could say at times they complement each other (Kuchar Brothers, Curt McDowell, early John Waters, Paul Morrisey's early "Warhol" movies etc).

Stefan managed to make himself pretty unpopular amongst exploitation followers in his Shock Xpress days by putting the boot into various sacred cows - he loathed Troma films (except for "Combat Shock"); thought Jesus Franco was a talentless, blundering hack; took the piss out of Joe D'Amato's output; got enraged by a Ray Dennis Steckler interview (his editorial interjections were hilarious); was bored by Joerg Buttgereit's output; hated 80's horror scream queens (he once said on a letters page that people should get into Klaus Kinski instead of them); and let Alan Jones run amok on various reviews. He did end up running 2 massive pieces on biker movies and drug films though, which I've never seen bettered elsewhere. And he was the only person at the time in the UK who cited Bill Landis and Steve Puchalski as taking exploitation in the States seriously (it's how I discovered Slimetime, Sleazoidd Express and Shock Cinema).

Anyway, I seem to have digressed somewhat, ha ha. My next job is to hunt down some more Brakhage films - I'll have a rummage around on UbuWeb and see what they have.