Thread: street art?
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2008, 08:48 PM   #54
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I do have an interest in the 'visual appeal of the enviornment' around me. I don't need spray paint, colours and bright lights to entertain me.

I'm not being pretentious because I don't expect anything from them, nor am I competing with them.
'Free expression' is something that needs to be thought about, which most artist claim to but don't actually do much of.

I remember Dylan saying something like "Real art is in the bathroom, not in the gallery".
'Art students' I'm talking about, want to be in the gallery expressing something that has already been expressed so then be titled an 'artist'.

at least you seem to have the angry bitter artist thing going for you. You also seem to have a very narrow minded view for someone who has studied art?

If you're not competing, then why do you seem to be putting it down below you in your comments?

I'm not sure what the dylan quote has to do with this, since I said before, to me it doesnt really matter that the art created on the streets is not high art. To me it simply represents the human interaction with the environment around it.

I really think the 'expressing something that has already been expressed' bollox is... bollox. There are always artists doing the same thing as others. Every person who learns the way a body moves, the way colours interact with each other, the way that shape and form and light affect us.. They all learn things that many people have learned before. That is the work of a GOOD artist, who studies that which has gone before, and THEN moves on. There are people who set out to represent certain ideas, and fall very short of their goal. I'd much rather have a society where the participation in even TRYING to express, is at a high level.