View Single Post
Old 06.01.2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
Live bands are a fantastic way of making a decent living.

Honestly, this is such bullshit - and unfortunately, I'm obliged to not qualify that. Let's say I know someone who's in band x, who've sold x million records; let's also say I know someone who's sold nearly a million records. Neither consider touring a valid way of making money. Not in the old way. Ok, they make a substantial amount of money. Yes, there are external revenue streams - sponsorship (hello, ticketmaster), advert/ soundtrack affiliations, merchandise - but none of these are available to anything more than a preposterously tiny percentage of the population. I know (again, I'd best not name them) a band who can play in front of 5-10,000 people in central Europe for whom touring is simply less financially feasible than working in a bar for minimum wage. The US has smaller fuel premiums, and is more negotiable for less money, certainly - so I'll accept that they might have a different situation. But for the band in the UK, or across most of Europe, without financial subsidies from the state, it's not feasible. As a for instance - it's nearly more feasible for me to play in front of 20 people in Leipzig (542 miles, according to a recent google) because plane and train fare is cheaper and the government supports culture than it is to play, as I did tonight, 20 minutes walk away.

All this meritocracy bullshit is just bullshit. I'm very prosaic - I realise that my work will not translate into money. I look to other things for a career. Meanwhile, a good friend who's spent 10 years working genuinely very hard at nothing but music - including gladhanding promoters, learning the trade, getting inter/national press etc was admitted to hospital from malnutrition recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|