View Single Post
Old 06.05.2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
"It’s like they know what we’re about, like there isn’t a question mark hanging over the audience any more."

I happen to agree with him, because a SY show is somewhat predictable these days. After the first few shows of any given tour, you pretty much know what 90% of the set list will be. And you know that at some point there will be some kind of loud noisy breakdown at the end of a song. These loud parts are no longer shocking or "extreme" after 30 years.

I wonder how Thurston arrived at this conclusion? He makes it sound as though he observed this in the audience's reaction, rather than by looking at the band itself and the shows.

As a fan, I still love seeing SY live. I love hearing songs from the latest album, even if I know they are coming. I loved hearing Pink Steam six times in two years, and I still enjoy the noisy breakdowns. The point is, I don't necessarily need to be shocked. But if Thurston feels the need to keep the audiences on their toes, they will need to do something different.