View Single Post
Old 04.28.2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheii
My broader point is expressed in the title of this thread. Why don't people actually think anymore? Why is it that the only thing us human beings seem capable of is using facts and statistics to reinforce a point that someone else has conned us into believing is the only possible answer to all of our questions? Weren't the French and American revolutions supposed to create monuments to everything great that humankind could achieve? When did a refusal to accept inequity turn into ridiculous bitching about minor shifts in the status quo? When did an informed opinion turn into an innate ability to regurgitate propoganda? Somebody help me, please.

First - this post is too long - I can't be bothered to read things that aren't going to change my life, and I'm certain that something on a message board for an all right rock group isn't going to have the article that's going to change my life.

Second - Any statement that starts "Why can't people think for themselves?" is automatically symptomatic of the question it attempts to address. The use of a broad generalisation to criticise not thinking for yourself (which would surely be defined as the constant use without appraisal of generalisations) involves the non-appraisal of your own statement. Ergo sum, while I truly loathe this statement, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Part of the nature of existence is to portion out understanding to people who can be bothered to care - I don't want to understand my microwave, it heats my food fine whether I understand it or not. I could accuse myself of not trying to understand it, but this would be little more than a re-enactment of Sisyphus. A better recipe for life: Find what you want to understand. Try and understand it. Fail, repeat, fail, repeat, give up, get a job and a mortgage, have kids, inspire them to have the same ridiculous hang ups as you, fail, buy some records along the way, die.

Incidentally, I'm not in the best of moods this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|