View Single Post
Old 04.29.2009, 01:18 AM   #23
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
Massage the History

listening to it for the second time, again i get chills i have never gotten from a Sonic Youth song before, i have been listening to them now nearly 10 years, and never has one of their songs stuck out so much, let alone in the first two listens

it is a total group effort too, Kim's quivering voice, with Thurston's acoustic organics and Lee just ghostly with his echoed slide especially at the 2:40 mark when both Kim's voice cracking and Lee hitting his highest notes as Steve is the lighthouse keeps the ship on course

i don't know much about the back story of the lyrics or title, but it's is unintentionally (intentionally?) appropriate when you consider yes that this song reminds you of Golden Blue, the outro has the tone of Shadow of a Doubt, Kim even sings "All the money is gone" a line lifted all the way back 27 years ago from "I dreamed I dream", and a little after taste of Sweet Shine for good measure

even even with all that, it's still so completely original in it's approach melding voice and guitar in complete frailty that makes me shudder in a way that very few songs have done to me personally

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pantophobia again.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|