View Single Post
Old 06.27.2006, 04:29 AM   #66
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
::: Humo magazine (Belgium) :::

(translated to the best of my knowledge)

Sonic Youth 'Rather Ripped' (2/5 stars)

Could you please pass on the cape of love? So we can cover 1/3 of Rather Ripped with it, the new Sonic Youth. Lights Out seems like a throwaway from Psychic Hearts, the otherwise nice solo-cd by Thurston Moore; Jams Run Free seems like a weak parody of the old SY-single Bull In The Heather; the superficial odd Or would rather belong on a cd from Sonic Old Bores; and Do You Believe In Rapture is a somewhat easy assault on religiously motivated warfare. (Burning eyes seek Jesus comin' / Jesus comes to pave the way). Erase it with a drenched sponge.

And it all started so beautifully: with a fresh guitarfidlle on which Kim Gordon drapes a nicely sung 'You keep me coming home again'. Reena is a perfect popsong and an equally perfect love statement: despite a heavy fascination for a friend Kim Gordon says (read sings) about always returning back to her Thurston. Immediately we knew why for 25 years it's been a nice home coming to a typical Sonic Youth-sound.

And it's not just the opening song in which she has a good voice. In Turquoise Boy, a song wrenched in psychedelics, she wanders off in the sweet two-sided heart of love. The Neutral is way more down to earth (t's a perfect sin/Close your eyes and loose the rest) and the ritmic beating What a Waste is even straight out horny: What a Waste/You're so chaste/I can't wait/To taste your face.

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|