View Single Post
Old 04.24.2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I liked Kingpin a LOT the first time through season 1. I thought he kind of stole the show. I think I even described his vincent d'onofrio's portrayal of Wilson Fisk as "Heath Ledger Joker-quality." But it's not even close.

My second time through season 1 I saw the cracks in his performance. He's playing Kingpin as a spoiled baby, and it deflates the character of menace eventually. I still think he's done well in the grand scheme of things, but he's no Ledger. He's no Liam Neeson (as Ras Al-Ghul), or Tom Hardy (Bane). He's not even at the level of Nicholson's Joker. But he's still better than most villains you encounter in these things.

I also didn't like Nobu. His character, the acting, the delivery ... it was all quite awful really. Reminded me of '80s Van Damme movies and their evil Korean/Chinese karate terrorists.

The backbone of the show is in the direction, cinematography and perhaps most of all, the choreography. They are doing for the continuous shot that top Scorcese's famous single shot sequence in Goodfellas. That one-shot fight scene in the staircase? It was like that hallway scene from Season 1 episode 2, only, like, squared. Made that amazing scene look almost quaint by comparison.

There's some bad acting on the show. I hate Karen. Charlie Cox is a good dramatic actor, but not a great comedic one, and he feels out of place in the lighter moments.

Berenthal was excellent as Frank Castle though. And those first two episodes, where he rained hell on every gangster in the city, Terminator style, were awesome.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|