View Single Post
Old 08.10.2011, 01:43 PM   #46
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Noise
I remember the first time I listened to these songs, it felt like it was so good. I thought to myself it was going to be like a new chance for lots of kids to get into Sonic Youth

Some months later I started to listen to other stuff, and forgot about this album. Then last night I woke up around 6 am, The Eternal was playing (i fell asleep with my earphones on) and it happened (like it does when you wake up in the middle of a song that once was important to you) it just felt like the 1st time I listened to it.

I guess as a musician I really appreciate the value of production, but I always say the same thing.. Raw takes seem to wear out music or feelings a lot less...like when you listen to live versions and you say 'yeah, there it is, that feeling I once felt on the record but that got lost in time'

Well I'm a musician too. Guitar, bass, drums, and some other not-so-rawk shit. I think the issue is that the music is too precise and mechanical. Like you said, it's almost predictable. The melodies are really good, but the songs don't mesh, and the instruments don't shine.

Part of me thinks that if Jim had produced it, it would have been a gem, but that's all speculation. I think the major problem is the lack of cohesiveness in the songs and in the overall structure and theme of the album.

And yeah- the instruments are too pro-toolsy. It sounds like an "Alternative Rock" album. And SY has always been so much bigger than that goddamn word... same goes for "indie".

It was still the best album of that year, though.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|