View Single Post
Old 09.21.2014, 02:57 AM   #5639
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Demonrail hasn't answered on the American Football thread so I'll ask the question here..

What is there to lose in futbol rivalries like the Superclassico or the Bavarian Derby??

We were discussing the rivalries within the divisional format of NFL and how it gives added meaning to to otherwise less meaningful regular season games. Me and rob mentioned we like NFL rivalries better than futbol rivalries, and demonrail insisted futbol rivalries are more meaningful.

Now aside from IN TOURNAMENTS, what exactly is the substantive meaning of these rivalries in the context of the table system? Again, within divisional format, demonrail mentioned Packers-Bears rivalry, every NFL fan knows the Packers and Bears are going to play each other TWO times every single regular season, and that essentially if a team can win both they clinch the playoffs by taking their division and hurting their rivals chances in the loss column. Even if the they split the games, it could still knock one of them out of the playoffs. Also, say one of them is for sure not making the playoffs, by winning a key division game against a rival they can ensure that NEITHER of them make the playoffs.. So what are otherwise low-importance games become some of the biggest games of the season.

So outside of tournament play, what exactly do Boca Juniors or River Plate stand to lose when playing each other?

I can only speak from what I know so I'll chip in my 2 pence worth. Rivalries between certain teams have been going for nigh on a hundred years in a lot of cases and the original reason is lost on a lot of fans. It's just pushed into them from when fans were kids. For example, if you ask an Arsenal fan why they have a rivalry with Tottenham (besides the regional reason) a lot of them wouldn't know.

Some rivalries like the Celtic/Rangers fixtures are more based on religion (Protestants and Catholics) and leads to crazy levels of violence.

What is their to lose? Honestly, it just comes down to a tribal spirit. One team having a rivalry with another just cos they play at the other end of town. Bear in mind for a lot of football fans football is all they have (trust me I know enough of them who's conversation rarely goes further than football. Sad really). And if their team loses to their rivals there is nothing worse. They want to close the curtains, put the duvet over their heads and sleep. Either that or kick someones head in. I'm more of the former.

What is there for the team to lose? Nothing really. Bring on the next game.

This sums it up better than I could

Sorry I wasn't more eloquent. I suspect demonrail can put it better than I did.

BTW, it's the everton/ liverpool derby next week. God I'm dreading it already.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|