View Single Post
Old 06.09.2006, 05:41 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I think we're kind of on the same wavelength, I agree with all that has been said. I always think of that quote of mysterious providence, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture". I heard this was attributed to Zappa, some say Elvis Costello, others say Laurie Anderson. Whatever. The ways it's often used is to mean 'writing about journalism is a detraction, or better, is unfaithful to the act of listening to music (ergo, a miscegenation of two irreconcilable mediums)'. What I like about certian journalists (and Coley is a better instance of this than Swells) is when they realise that writing/ reading is never going to be reconcilable with listening/ experiencing music - that is, they make little effort to explain the music, they talk from a purely personal point of view - they make transparent their nominal stances and do so quickly and eruditely, and go about making journalism a (pseudo-) artform in its own right, rather than the parasitic journalism of 'effective' adjectives.

Insofar as I have (hopefully) established my stance here, I provide a defence of journalists being transparently malicious in the name of journalism becoming prose.

Hello. I've found my wankers hat. Ooh, doesn't it look pretty on my head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|