View Single Post
Old 08.31.2014, 04:05 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Nirvana were great for me because I discovered The Wipers through them. I love this band so much to this day.

That is true though, what was great about Nirvana is they introduced mainstream audience to all kinds of more obscure bands. I must have discovered like half of the rock bands from the 80s and 90s that I listen to from Nirvana interviews, tour mates, t-shirts the band members wore, and bands they invited to do guest slots with. Indeed I think THAT is one of the cultural changes that Nirvana brought to the table, the ability to delve into new musics without having the radio or the magazine pundits do the selecting for you.

I think the entire shift towards "independent lables" in the mid-1990s was a reaction by the fanbase away from depending on music critics and radio DJs to select what new music we should listen to, but rather to go out and do what underground music fans have always done, discover new bands and musics totally on your own initiative. The advent in the late-1990s of the internet for downloading and discovering new music was the final part of this process, the technology when enabled people to explore on their own and tell Spin magazine writers to eat a dick

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|