View Single Post
Old 03.09.2017, 08:22 AM   #167
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I dunno. They reviewed a bunch of Prince albums right after he died too. Of course Sign o' the Times got a 10 (deserved it) and so did Purple Rain (deserves it but a little bit less), and everything else warms highly favorable, because what are they going to do? Pan this recently deceased legend's music? Nope.

I do like their liner notes series or whatever where they look at older albums. Enjoyed the one for Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive... and The Lips' Soft Bulletin. But... yeah, not exciting.

that's what I mean tho - features like that, or even a tribute after someone dies or whatever I get. But, why did they review 4 Biggie albums TODAY? Is it an anniversary or something that I didn't realize and it's at least topical? Or is it random? Or maybe they're going to review old albums on Thursdays for #throwback?

EDIT: oops yeah. 20th anniversary of his death. So I missed that. RIP.

Also why did they only review 2 albums yesterday?

BTW, they gave Ready To Die a 10. Which in fairness it deserves. But I called it. Know why? Because that's what they do. They give old albums a 10. I'm sure there's more new releases, but the ONLY new album I remember getting a 10 was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - which had been leaked for a year prior. I just find it kind of weak that these 'tastemakers' don't seem to have the balls to give out 10's (IE: "I think this album is perfect.") to anything unless it's been out for a year or more. Gives the impression that they can't really make such a bold statement without hindsight on their side.

I know I"m being overly harsh. Because in fairness we all need time to let art sink in. But they're the ones that choose to go w/ number scores (which I find arbitrary anyway).

EDIT: on the topic of Biggie, I think Ready To Die is amazing. Like really really amazing. To me, I always preferred 2Pac as a rapper... but he never made an album that I thought was as good start-to-finish as Ready To Die. Ironically, there is no other Biggie album that I love. I think the rest of his discography is just good. Shrug.