View Single Post
Old 07.26.2010, 05:48 AM   #15
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
and sonic youth are just a bunch of people from new york, there's no rock n roll lifestyle with them either.
no rock&roll lifestyle perhaps, but you can't say there's no attitude behind sonic youth music. i could argue that they always have had this "arty" thingy going on, for instance, or that there was this grunge attitude in Goo and Dirty, etc. And then again, I did say I was generalising. But I wouldn't say Sonic Youth are just a bunch of people from New York.

Quote:
but on the other hand dance culture is easily as drug fueled as rock if not more so, in 10 years of rock shows i can't recall ever someone trying to sell me drugs, on the other hand if you go to a dance club someone will be offering you pills or coke within 10 mins. if it wasn't for ecstasy then it's questionable as to whether the whole dance scene would have kicked off in the first place to the extent that it did. getting fucked up is integral to all forms of popular and unpopular music since the dawn of time.
Yes, but my point wasn't that there wasn't drug in dance music. My point is that you don't have any judgement, or at least, less judgement on being "true" or "false" for taking drugs. Of course I've been offered acid many times at electronic shows. But I've never been judged because I didn't do drugs; while I've been criticized numerous times as "not rock&roll blahblah" by rock music fans because I don't do them.

Quote:
also to state that one form of music is more emotional than another is just daft, especially when you support this by saying that it is more emotional because it is less driven by personality, that's completely backwards.
I didn't say it was more "emotional". I said the emotion was conveyed only - or mainly - by the music itself. There's no such thing as feeling Kurt Cobain's rage, or Kevin Shield's spleen, or whatever - the emotion is only conveyed by the music itself. While Boards Of Canada wrote many desperate tracks, I'm not sure they're really sad guys themselves. Which is what I was trying to explain with this "pure" thing - I didn't mean to say it was more emotional (though electronic music personnaly touches me more). But it's the music alone that conveys the emotion. Obviously, I'm once more generalising, but that's how I feel.

Quote:
and thirdly this "no attitude" stance of dance music (and other scenes like improv, and certain art movements) is as much of an attitude in itself as anything gg allin ever did. although i will agree that dance music places no requirements on it's artists to also be performers, that is the crowd's role.
Probably. But I happen to prefer that "no attitude attitude" to another "attitude".
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|