View Single Post
Old 06.19.2009, 12:09 PM   #68
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I was using Pop as an umbrella term that covered RnR though. Chuck Berry's riffs were a part of RnR but you can't deny that they also helped provide the foundations for pop music. And certainly The Ramones' (well Joey's anyway) infatuation with Girl Groups is far too broad to be contained within the term RnR.

The pop values that punk endorsed (elevation of the single and a turn towards a youth audience) were specifically those that'd been rejected by the more adult-oriented-album promoted by Prog and Classic Rock. Of course there are more contradictions and exceptions to this than there are pure examples of it (probably). All I'm saying is that in many ways the original Punk movement was far more sympathetic to pop than a lot of the bands currently being described as Pop Punk, who take every opportunity they can to distance themselves from any kind of pop associations.

rock n roll was all about singles up until the late 60s/early 70s, but i don't think a song belongs more or less to a particular style of music based on the format it is released on?
And I would say pop predates rock n roll, and pop absorbed some influence from rock n roll (for financial reasons) so as to stay relevant (i.e. lucrative) after the initial rock n roll craze in the 50s.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|