View Single Post
Old 08.02.2010, 09:55 AM   #105
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
But it's interesting to think about: why is the internet more sexist than said real life? Anyone with an idea?

I don't think it's 'the internet' in general, I think it's the sort of places you're posting in. There are plenty of areas of the internet where sausage-fests don't proliferate; music messageboards generally aren't that.

Having said that, I think a lot of heterosexual men seem to find the internet 'liberating' (I'm almost saying that ironically) in terms of being able to be 'complimentary' towards women - I'm lucky enough to be the sort of person who doesn't have a problem saying that a person is wearing lovely shoes, but I know a few people who are happy to say a female poster is 'hot' (or whatever) but would never do the same 'IRL'.

I really hate the 'cultural' defence, but I do think that sometimes the internet just makes you much more aware of how different cultural areas view sex and related issues. I live in a relatively culturally homogenous area, where attitude to sex are often fairly similar; I was reading an Islamic forum yesterday where there were these guys (relatively respectfully, I should say) discussing the problems of relationships where they anticipate the woman to be slightly more servile; it's an odd thing to me, but they were mostly sort of going 'ah, but I love her, so if she wants to have a good time with her friends, inshallah'.

But yeah. Get off the music forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|