View Single Post
Old 05.09.2014, 10:22 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
First listen, this sounds more like tool than those tool sounding moments on the seer. I know I will get shitted on for saying that, but I don't care, I like tool, and what I hear in The Seer and To Be Kind that sounds like what I hear in tool I mutually like in both. Its the sound that attracts me to it. I much prefer this Swans revival/revision to the earlier more chaotic shit, I'd compare this more recent Swans era with that ATL/NYCGF/Murray St/Sonic Nurse era of Sonic Youth which I found to be the most mature, constructed, instrumentally innovative period for Sonic Youth. The Seer and To Be Kind sound more like Swans meets more a more conventional approach to music, and those John Weiss mother fuckers who liked the chaos theory noise makes music approach to early Swans might not dig it. I think its a very maturing progression, to take the same kind of emphasis on minimalism, repetition, ambient noise/feedback, droning effects, dynamic contrasts, its early Swans but much more musical. Shit, the second disc from The Seer had something closely resembling a radio single! The Seer is one of my all time favorite records, and I agree with others, To Be Kind at my first listen sounds better.. I'm ordering it now, not tomorrow.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|