View Single Post
Old 01.05.2017, 07:33 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
uh, don't know. I like Slint. Polvo is kinda cool. I have nothing to contribute here. post rock is something im a little better at. I've heard of three band in here. you could just listen to Yes instead. shouldn't Captain Beefheart be math rock too? never understood the meaning. more like prog indie rock.

oh, I got it, calling it Math rock makes it nerdy. because only nerds listen to it. gotcha.

It's a stupid genre name and should be stricken from the record. It's just post-hardcore often overlapping with post-rock. For instance, you never hear Unwound or Shellac referred to as "math rock" but both bands have almost all the same sonic signifiers as the Slints and Rodans. Also, Squirrel Bait begat Slint, but you never hear them referred to as math-rock.

Instead you hear "emocore" or whatever. Or just plain punk. But June of 44 had more "emocore" elements than SB, and yet they're "math-rock." Makes no bloody sense.

It all comes from the same place. The sound we're talking about was really forged by Sonic Youth, Wire, Big Black, Black Flag. Some fucked confluence of those bands makes the "math-rock" sound that I think eventually peaked in terms of "mathiness" with Americans Don, which basically acted as the blueprint for Hella and Lightning Bolt. It is what it is.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|