View Single Post
Old 05.24.2017, 08:21 AM   #48786
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sorry been busy and forgot to follow up. Not a contest of course - but I was certainly very very obsessed with Beck for a very very long time. I remember between Mellow Gold and Odelay that I was super into One Foot In The Grave (still my fav Beck album) and Stereopathetic. Most of my friends didn't know he made much more than "Loser" at the time. I was searching for rare singles and stuff, which at least got easier thanks to the internet haha. When I say that I was really into Beck, I mean taht I bought the She's The One sndtrk just to hear Tom Petty's cover of "Asshole." Y'know?

I totally get why folks love Odelay. And that's great. It's just not totally what I love Beck for. Which is confusing, because what I love him for is that each album is a totally different thing haha. Basically, yes, it sounds like the sequel to Paul's Boutique. I just didn't necessarily want him to be make the sequel to Paul's Boutique. But whatever. I'm talking in circles.

Odelay = a great Beck album + not my favorite Beck album.

Sky Blue Sky is... an interesting Wilco album. Okay, so they hired Nels Cline. So you're probably thinking "OMG time for Wilco to freejazz the F out" right? But no. This mostly a very quiet, very organic sounding album. I dare say 'folky'. I don't think a lot of people liked it? At least I don't think it did great critically. But I don't know. I don't really pay close attention to that stuff. I will say it's a grower. A slowburn. And actually pays off quite a bit if you give it the chance. There's some great great stuff here. "Either Way" opens things off on a solid soft note. "Please Be Patient With Me" is achingly gorgeous, sad, and honest. "Hate It Here" is a standout. No, wait. Actually there's lots of standouts once you've given it a real chance. "Impossible Germany"? "Side With Seeds"? Great great stuff. "Shake It Off" is pretty annoying though.