View Single Post
Old 04.17.2010, 07:33 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Deftones are one of few bands from a specific era that still hold any artistic credibility as far as I'm concerned. Unlike the majority of their contemporaries, they've successfully managed to evolve in such a way that has seemed age-appropriate.

Jon Davis still bitching about high school trauma is a bit weird.

Deftones aren't a favorite, but I can respect them. They always managed to fall under my idea of what "post hardcore" should sound like. I can hear the Bad Brains and Fear in what they do...just much more melodic and with their own twist. Can't really compare them to too many other bands. I'm personally convinced that most people feel as if they suck, really haven't taken the time to listen to them.

Around the Fur is a great record, even still.

that was brilliant. I haven't got to have an intelligent musical discussion about the deftones in years.. what I like about either deftones or even sonic youth, is that they evolve and grow as musicians, instead of pouring out the same ol' thing year after year, milking it to the extreme. I like that deftones kept their sound, but evolved and grew into it more and more, so that it progressed, without ever changing to the point of 'selling out' or just becoming too different (as happens with band's progression over time, sometimes they change and evolve in directions you don't like, I adore the first System of a Down album, that one is all, I abhor the rest, absolutely unlistenable)

Further, I think age-appropriate is one of the best descriptions, deftones is a band that has grown up while we as fans have grown up with them, through our teens, 20s, 30s etc etc.. and the music reflects these changes over the years, so that as I have said on another thread which was mashed down completely by the haterz, deftones has been a soundtrack for my life for the past 12/13 years since i got Around the Fur..

Each album has come out in such serious and transitional times in my life, that the memories and feelings are encapsulated in the dreary ambient guitar work and obscure poetic lyrics.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|