Thread: Tuff Gnarl
View Single Post
Old 05.05.2007, 12:23 PM   #29
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
--what? do you think bands always put the best tracks first...?--

Frankly, yes. That's generally been the rule over the years, especially when it comes to a record where all the tracks are basically the same length, with no lengthy improvisational track that may serve as an album "centrepiece" (e.g., "Pink Steam" off Rather Ripped).

As for "Kotton Krown" being a "masterpiece", I simply fail to see how this computes logically. I will say this much in its defense: It's quite a nice little track when you consider how awkward are the lyrics and the vocal phrasings required to pull them off, in addition to the poor recording job done on the vocal track. From where I stand, "Kotton Krown" sounds like a number that was written towards the end of the studio session and was recorded before it was perfected. If they had worked some of the kinks out of the lyrical phrasings and had had the advance recording standards of the next major release, Daydream Nation, then it would have been quite comparable to the latter album's "Candle"--or at least that's my take on it.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|