View Single Post
Old 11.23.2014, 07:26 PM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Oops. Nevermind. I spaced on this:

Röyksopp - The Inevitable End

Did this get some so-so reviews? I don't know. That's what I've heard. But if you like this group, you'll like this album. I don't see what's so goddamn uncool about it. It kicks the shit out of Random Access Memories (though it has nothing quite like "Contact" or "Doin' it Right," but that's because it's Röyksopp, and Röyksopp isn't the subject of LCD Spundsystem songs. They probably can't afford Pharrell cameos, and thank god for that.

I love Daft Punk. But Röyksopp is more interested in pumping out melodic dance grooves and less interested in being looked at by everyone. Consequently, they've been more music focused, and have made fewer missteps. The Understanding is one of my favorite aughts dance pop records. Wasn't Daft Punk still reeling from the perrennial disappointment that was Human After All around that time?

No matter. Daft Punk is great. But I was worried that Röyksopp wouldn't release an album of their own after the success of the Robyn Collab EP. So this was a treat for me. Robyn is in fine form on this record as well, btw.

I might have had to go with Mouse on Mars's 21 Again Collaborations box set as my pick for the week, but I only have a promo, and I'm not sure it's even out. Anyway, that record is brilliant as well. But The Inevitable End is one of the most enjoyable simple dance records of the year. It doesn't have shit on Plaid's Reachy Prints, or Aphex Twin's SYRO, or patten's Estoile Naiant. And maybe I should have given the honor to Clark for busting shit up on his self titled Warp release... But for whatever reason, this is the album I'm listening to a lot at the moment. So I'm callin' it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|