View Single Post
Old 01.08.2016, 11:12 AM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Have you heard classic hip hop? Hip Hop has ALWAYS been about braggadocio just as much as it has been about telling one's story. Most of any genre is diarrhea if you want to get down to it.

music is first and foremost entertainment. Anything else you get out of it is gravy. I'd rather hear an entertaining and bass heavy track about whippin up a bag than a pedantic screed anyday. I can admire Run The Jewels but I find that, after 10 minutes or so, that shit is BORING

Gotta say I kind of agree on Run the Jewels. I guess I wouldn't say it's boring, because it's really quite powerful. But is it El-p's best work? Fuck no. Is it even Killer Mike's best work? I'd say no, though he does bring serious chops to te project. Mostly I just find that I don't play the albums very much. When I do, I turn them off after a few songs.

I kinda hope Killer Mike gets back to making solo records after RTJIII, and I hope El-p shuts the fuck up for a while, because I find him rather annoying when he's not staying quiet behind the boards.

The music is good, but I don't feel that it deserves quite as much fawning adulation as it receives. It grates after a while, not because it's low quality, but because it lacks sonic variation. If you look at classic hip hop albums, the really indisputable genre gems have more moods and flavors than seem to even be in RTJ's palette. It just gets a bit tedious is all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|