View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 09:02 AM   #29
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Of One
I love them to play the new songs, that's why i've caught them on tour for every record since Washing Machine (except for Rather Ripped)

I feel the same. I've seen them every tour since Daydream, and sometimes two or three times per tour. I went to see them play a university basketball gymnasium in Rochester when they were "rehearsing" for the Washing Machine/Lollapalooza tour, and nobody in the audience knew any of the songs, and it kinda thrilled me. It reminded me of my hard-on high-school fantasies about seeing Jimi Hendrix play new material for the very first time, live in performance, and getting my "virginity" popped.

So I've made it a habit ever since - I don't listen to the new SY albums until I've heard the songs played live first. It makes for an odd experience, because sometimes I shrug my shoulders, then days later get the record, listen to it, and go, "Oh, yeah, that one ... hey, what was I thinkin', this is farkin' great!" It keeps me coming back to every tour, because I'm getting an entirely new show, and the performers make it worthwhile by delivering the goods. So, kudos to SY.

I was at the show last night. I think it may have been the first SY show for me with an "assigned seat number" since the Neil Young/Goo tour in '91. Very strange to thrash and rock out to DV'69 sitting in a seat, and truthfully, I didn't think the famed Massey Hall sound was much better than the Kool Haus (where the sound has improved over the past decade, but it's old reputation preceeds it).

The best audio I've ever heard at SY shows, funnily enough, were of the cowherd monster truck variety - Lollapalooza in '95 at Molson Park, Barrie (Washing Machine); and Osheaga Festival in Montreal (Rather Ripped).

Seen 'em maybe 20 times, and I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle.

Highlight: probably seeing Thurston sitting on a stool playing an acoustic guitar. I did see him play acoustic guitar at a solo gig he did at a church in Boston circa '97 or '98 (during a hurricane), but I don't know that I've ever seen him play an acoustic guitar, and certainly not sitting down on a stool, for a Sonic Youth show.

Mystery: Kim introduced the song as a "Neil Young" cover. I don't know anything off The Eternal, and I didn't recognize it as a Neil song, so she was bullshittin' me, right?
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|