View Single Post
Old 08.13.2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks, Moshe! I just got back from this a while ago, and it was very interesting. It was mostly just David Browne and Lee talking on a variety of subjects, such as:

SY's longevity

How their songwriting process has become more efficient. Said they no longer live in proximity to each other and no longer spend weeks in the studio, just writing and writing like they used to. Said their new Hoboken studio is actually better than Murray Street.

How they generally write and record the music first and then assign songs to different people to sing.

Lee and his friends' ill-fated attempt to move into the East Village in 1979. They didn't last more than a day because the neighborhood was so scary. That was a funny story!

How NYC was such a draw in those days for artistic types. Said many visual artists, writers, etc ended up in bands because it was so much easier to get a gig playing music than to get yr writing published or paintings displayed in a gallery.

About an early management duo they worked with who wanted them to do all sorts of things in order to become more commercially successful. It didn't take long for them to realize SY wasn't cooperating, so they bailed.

Their tour with Neil Young and how much they admire him. He said that opening for a big name act like him almost always works out badly because the fans aren't there for you, and added (jokingly, perhaps) that they accepted the tour just so they could meet him. He discussed their disastrous attempt at an acoustic set at his Bridge School Benefit.

The fact that he has done work towards his solo record, but there's still more work to do.

The fact that I am his number one musical influence. (Maybe I just heard that part in my head.)

And other things I can't remember.