View Single Post
Old 06.25.2013, 04:59 PM   #3262
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Glad the Bernabeu lived up to expectations and, funnily enough, I'm looking for a book like the one you recommend. I just finished rereading Calcio (also great), about Italian football, and was looking for an equivalent on Spanish football. So I'll definitely pick that up.

And for the tactics-heads here, you really do need to read this.

Re the culture explains Jamaican runners thing, of course not. There's obviously lots of factors why certain countries excel in certain sports and not in others. Why is New Zealand so good at rugby, or England at cycling? They're sporting anomalies. Sometimes it is cultural (like with Argentina and polo, Mexico with boxing or, I'd argue, football with Uruguay) sometimes it isn't. But success can itself spawn a culture. Jamaica's recent success in athletics will have undoubtedly inspired youngsters in Jamaica who prior to Usain Bolt may have never considered pursing it. And I'm sure it's lead to a greater emphasis on athletics in schools that may in the past have been more focused on cricket or football.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|