View Single Post
Old 12.10.2009, 09:33 PM   #47
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedbird
With a band as prolific as Sonic Youth you are bound to have favorites from their back catalog. My advice to those of you who are less than enthusiastic about The Eternal is to reacquaint yourself w/ the qualities that make you adore older albums and then seek those qualities out on The Eternal. It's hard because with a fan base like us --rabid SY fans that we are-- SY have a grip on our psyches in a million different ways (or less) and this fascination is often tied to a moment in history. I am speaking from experience here. I mean, Dirty was the album I grew up with so it has a special place in my heart. And I cannot afford the same space for The Eternal. On the other hand, I have grown and I realize I am living in the past when I put on Dirty. Better to forge new memories with new tunes or you will be stuck in the past forever. Apologies if you have already separated out the personal aspects of your like/dislike of whatever SY albums. I just needed to get this off of my chest.

I totally agree with you. But the reason of my dislike for The Eternal is not because I want them do do anything they have done before, but because of the lack of surprises( Massage The History not included!). I wanna be surprised by new SY albums!!
I truly believe they still have some amazing music in them, I just felt The Eternal was too easy. Sounds like they didnīt try hard enough to my ears.
But then others love it. We canīt all be happy right?
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|