View Single Post
Old 03.14.2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
You stole all my thunder, Greg. Actually, I hadn't heard that re: Disappearer, in fact the band expresses surprise in the Goo deluxe liners that it wasn't played live often...

But I was told exactly that re: Dripping & StreamX.

"I Dreamed I Dream" was probably played a lot, there's just not many tapes from that era and I guess they abandoned it early on (perhaps no drummer played it quite like Edson?).

"Justice is Might" was played early on when they were still sticking w/ the full on Bad Moon Rising set (up until January '85, basically). Maybe because it's in a unique tuning and not worth the hassle?

"In the Kingdom" was pieced together in the studio, I think. Same for "Creme Brulee", maybe, though obviously it would be easy to recreate. I think "Dirty" had so many songs, and they played a considerable amount of them each night. The one recording we have of "On the Strip" is the first time they played it since the studio, if Thurston's introduction is accurate.

"Wish Fulfillment" - perhaps the subject matter of the song made them reluctant to play it. Or perhaps "Genetic" and "Mote" were just more fun.

All the "Jet Set" stuff is a shame.

The Amps opened the whole west coast leg of the "Washing Machine" tour, so Kim Deal was around if they wanted to do "Trouble Girl". Odd that it never came about.

"Sexisme" - sliced out of a larger improvisation.

"Stil" was the live choice to represent the "Hush" melody shared between it and "Snare, Girl".

Some other curiosities:

"1 2 3 4" - instrumental played only 5 times on the Japan 2/03 tour

"J'Accuse Ted Hughes" - infamous 4/00 ATP set intro, now immortalized on SYR7. never played again.

"Blonde Redhead" - it's like they made a pact to only play it in February of 1999.

Wow, I forgot SY did "Isolation"! Holy shit, gotta find that asap...

Hi, everybody.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|