View Single Post
Old 05.28.2014, 02:37 AM   #65
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Yesterday, I went to see Courtney Barnett.
It was in Paris, at la Boule Noire (8 minute walk from the Machine du Moulin Rouge in Montmartre; halfway there's the Trianon, another venue, where I saw BRMC last year).
It's a small place, the concert wasn't sold out, I got there early and enjoyed the show, front row.
The opening act were a cool Parisian band I did not know, called Agua Roja; no swashbuckling effects, a keyboard guy, a bass player, both being shy, a female singer, slightly less shy, a drummer, and a young guitar player who was quite good. I liked their 6 songs. Made me think of a Columbus, OH band on a small label noone's heard of, so...
Barnett and her 2 musicians had a lot of fun. The guys smiled a lot all through the concert, along with the miss.
Let me be honest: she's occasionnally off-key on a couple of syllables during songs; and the cutest ones on record (Scotty Says, Avant-Gardener) could have been reworked for the rhythm section's too bouncy to pretend it's not. All right. A short set, because she's only had two EPs out. A broken guitar string, well written lyrics, people getting along well, it's been a very good night.
Plus I ended watching the end of France-Norway, the football game, in an Irish-owned café; I got in to see the last 2 goals.
No more shows before August.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|