View Single Post
Old 04.22.2018, 09:32 AM   #49596
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah i never was a member of his cult of personality, but as talent goes, i felt he had it in spades.

early hole was great for sure, and im not saying nirvana was the best music out there at the time— but it connected to the culture as a whole in a very particular way. one that has not replicated or matched since in the rock genre. talking about the mass phenomenon. which was my original point about “cultural relevance” (and rock being overtaken by hip hop in youth culture).

I felt that by the 90s, American Indie had become more explicitly 'American' in its cultural references. I was more into 80s Swans and the post No Wave thing, which felt more broadly urban than anything really national. Lydia Lunch, Michael Gira, etc. seemed to have a greater connection with cities like London or Berlin or Manchester than to anything particularly American whereas I never felt any of the big Grunge bands could've come from anywhere but the US so always felt more exotic than something I could really relate to.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|