View Single Post
Old 11.19.2013, 08:43 PM   #1202
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I feel you, in 1998 there was Outkast, a sick a$$ DJ Quik record, the ridiculoulsly good Black Star record, FUCKING KILLAH PRIEST DROPPED HEAVY MENTAL, my favorite Tribe Called Quest Record came out (The Love Movement), RZA became the Bobby Digital, Redman put out "Doc's Da Name", Heiroglyphics busted out 3rd Eye Vision, WC's The Shadiest One, Sunz of Man had a record out, and to take the mark as perhaps the BEST RAP ALBUM OF 1998 E-40 put out the double album Element of Surprise..

Not only was there clearly no room to even remotely bother with DMX, upon further reflection is it safe to argue that 1998 may have been perhaps the single greatest year in rap history? Fucking shit look at those records, and that is just from my ipod right now off my head, I probably forgot at least a dozen more bangerz..

Holy shit, yeah, Black Star, Hieoglyphics, the first Bobby Digital record (which is awesome, for those of you who think it was something other than awesome)...

Man, you really remember your shit. Wu Forever was a year old in 98, so I was pretty much just saying who needs a prison poet who barks like a dog when the best hip hop album ever was only eight or nine months old? But your point is even better- 1998 kicked all kinds of ass, at the underground level.

The basic question was: Was DMX ever supposed to be relevant to actual hip hop, or just the TRL-era mtv crowd, which was just losing its moonblood back in '98? I remember 1998 for one mainstream hit, and that was "Hard Knock Life." Who the fuck needed DMX?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|