View Single Post
Old 03.12.2017, 05:30 PM   #20815
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
This was the last movie I watched.

I, ahhh, hmm. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I certainly wasn't expecting greatness, so... expectations met!

This was not great.

I have come to appreciate the kind of streamlined blockbusters Marvel puts out after years of resenting their success because I'm a DC motherfucker for life. But with Chris Nolan out of that scene, and the Dark Knight stuff very much over (got out just in time, that lot), there's simply no denying that Marvel has definitively won the comic book movie battle for this decade.

That said, however, this movie felt like it existed simply to move the MCU along. To usher in some mystical shit and open up the doors for Thor: Ragnarok, and more mining of the depths of B-list, lame ass superheroes that have never been any kind of cool or iconic. Doctor Strange is neither cool nor iconic. He is lame and relevant to nothing, and I have never once found myself wondering what a movie version of his dumb ass might look like.
The Captain America movies work, and have a unique feel to them, and so does Thor to a lesser extend, and I hear some people even like the Iron Man films. But this one felt like a re-hash of some of the most basic elements of the most basic movies.
NR told me it was pretty much like Iron Man with magic, and ... yup! Also Tilda Swinton playing the character of a Chinese dude. So. Yah.

Special effects were cool, but they were cooler and used to better effect in Inception.

None of it was terrible. Most of it was entertaining. I wasn't bored. But it was just decidedly not great. And again, I wasn't expecting greatness, so I guess that means it isn't a disappointment.

Blah. Superhero movies. Ugh. Never thought I'd be the one to say enough already, but... fucking enough already. Let's take a goddamn breather. Or investigate some less "superhero-y" material.

I like what's happening on TV with superhero shit more than I like what's in the movies these days. Agents of SHIELD has been very touch and go, but lately it's been pretty consistently ... uh.. touch. This season has been the absolute best, and the most recent episode (S04:E15, titled "Self Control") is — no fucking shit — one of the best hours of TV I've seen in fucking AGES. Oh my god. Moody Blues music sets the tone for an EXCELLENT bottle neck episode that borrows equally from John Carpenter's The Thing, the Manchurian Candidate, The Matrix and fucking Blade Runner, and is genuinely goddamn thrilling and glorious.

Also, Gotham, despite its many, many pimples and blemishes, is consistently fun to watch. And obviously Daredevil and Jessica Jones are both the fucking shit. So I would like to see more of this TV, long-form stuff and less of the constant build-up-movie-build-up-sequel-build-up-spinoff shit that has dominated the theater for the last 12 years. FUCK!

Anyway Doctor Strange was like a 5-6/10 (if Winter Soldier was an 8/10, and The Dark Knight was a 10/10, which it was).
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|