View Single Post
Old 08.30.2008, 10:38 PM   #9
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
The new songs didn't seem to be an enormous departure from what they've done before in the past. Based on the little we have to go on so far, it seems like they're evolving beyond the 'Rather Ripped' formula as opposed to shifting from it completely. Think of some of the more rocking moments off of 'Dirty,' except a little bit more catchy and a bit more riff oriented. And, whereas 'Rather Ripped' had catchy vocals and catchy melodies, this time any straight-forward hooks were in the vocals, letting the instrumentation be a bit more harsh and punishing.

The first new song, sung by Thurston, seemed to be a more straight-up rock tune. You know, as far as Sonic Youth goes.

The second new song, sung by Kim, was a bit more awesome upon first listen. Some nice noise, and much more aggressive hard rock.

At the very least, it seems like the softer 'jam' aspects they've maintained since 'Murray Street' have come to an end.

All of that said, I'm basing this off of two songs that they just wrote the other day, that are going to see way more honing and probably countless changes before they're recorded, if they even make the final cut. At the very least, I can say that I'm very excited to see how this first post-Geffen album shapes up. I can already tell that I'm going to like it more than 'Rather Ripped' and 'Sonic Nurse.'
amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|