View Single Post
Old 04.07.2017, 09:31 AM   #234
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I do think there's potential for a "Bat-verse" film series. I really do. But now is not the time. If they waited a bit -- waited for Justice League to come and go and get splattered by Rotten Tomatoes -- then I think they could do something like this. But it would require a whole lot of re-assessing and re-casting.

I think if they wanted to do a new Batman, and do it well, it would have to be different from what's come before, especially if the intention is to breed a bunch of spin-offs. A movie titled "Gotham City" that focused equally on Gordon, Bruce Wayne, a villain or two, and maybe the measured, careful assimilation of a sidekick, would be refreshing. Then they would have a basic storyline (think Star Wars, the first trilogy) with plenty of opportunities for side-stories, like maybe Killing Joke or The Long Halloween.

Do a Bat-verse movie that's about more than just Batman, and let it spread its wings (lol). Hire an ace director and an ensemble cast that just kicks fucking ass all over the place, and make the central story revolve around Gotham. If it works, you have tons of ammunition for Nightwing and Batgirl, but if Marvel and Star Wars and Harry Potter have taught us anything about successful branding, it's that you need to start off with a SOLID main story.

I think planning future movies around Ben Affleck and Jared Leto is just insane. They're just asking for punishment. Begging for it, really.

Jesus, it hasn't even been five years since the Nolan films ended. If I want to see Batman, I'll watch those movies. So will everyone else. D.C. would probably make more money if they put Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises back in theaters and IMAX for a summer than by doing anything else.

I think it's Wonder Woman's turn. And Superman's turn to have a really solid, well-rounded modern trilogy devoted to that incredible character. Doing Batman shit is just stupid, because everything they do will be measured against Nolan's films, and come out looking like a sprinkled turd.

obviousky I have a pretty big chip on my shoulder about all of this. I clearly care too much about comic book stuff. But it PAINS me to admit that MARVEL is doing a better job all around than D.C. That's painful man. Seriously. Ouch. Marvel is just killing D.C. Their reign will end, certainly, but for now, they've got TV (Agents of Shield), premium tv (The Netflix shows) and movies under their thumb. DC has a bunch of entertaining-if-unrelentingly-stupid Dawson's Creek supershows (Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Gotham) and some movies that seem to be fundamentally damaged. Even when they're good (Man of Steel) or ok (Suicide Squad), people just don't LIKE them, or even WANT to like them.

That's an issue that needs to be addressed. God dammit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|