View Single Post
Old 05.16.2007, 01:33 AM   #58
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

theres too much there for someone to say "i like everything theyve ever done". whenever people say this i gotta be honest, i have a hard time believing them. they kind come off more as the rock star cock sucker types than actual fans of music.

just my opinion.

but i DO understand some of these people are just young, and just get excited about things they relate to so much to a point they almost want to become it. or want to be associated with it so much that they feel a constant need to talk about how awesome a partuclar artists is, and take offense when someone else states they dont like em...etc etc etc etc.

thats cool, as long as yr like 15 or something.

Thing is, I do like everything they've ever done. I have never heard a Sonic Youth record where I thought, "Damn, this sucks." I won't claim to love everything they've done, probably 85% or higher, but not everything.

I am particularly less into EJT&NS, A Thousand Leaves, and probably Rather Ripped (still kind of early to tell, but I'm pretty certain Nurse is way better, because by this point with that album I was still listening to it constantly, and Rather Ripped is not a huge priority to me now.) I agree with you that The Destroyed Room is better. Only thing wrong with that, is that I already had most of the MP3s.

T.V. Shit is my least favorite of the noise albums, but I still like it too, for what it is. But then I never bought it, and eventually a friend who did gave it to me. And I don't really listen to it. But it's perfectly o.k. as conceptual art. The Silver Sessions is an infinitely better noise album though, I love that one.

SYR 5 is kind of a yawner too, though again this is all relative. It's still better than anything I've ever hear by the Strokes, Shins, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ad nauseum.

I've been following this band heavily for close to 24 years, and when I look at that discography, I can't find one thing that makes me groan, including side projects. I'm not the rock star cock sucker you describe though, I am fully capable of criticizing some things they do (like touring a twenty year old album and thinking it won't make the "They haven't done anything good since..." crowd even more set in that bullshit way of thinking!)

Without a doubt though, take any record I've mentioned above as not up to par with the rest, pick the worst song on it, and put it up against anything coming out of a "commercial alternative" station or playing on MTV2 and I'll pick the "lame" SY song in a second!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|