View Single Post
Old 05.11.2014, 06:44 AM   #18063
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
I loved, loved "Under the Skin". I don't kow if the metaphors are THAT deep... really it was just Glazer paring down a sci-fi novel into its base form: alien sent to earth to destry/emulate human beings and ends up sympathizing and trying to be one. This has been the staple of sci-fi for years. The music... zombie-like performances and especially the rationalization of Johansson's "handlers" being these motorcycle meat heads was pretty amazing IMO. And Glazer has a perfect sense of mise-en-scene. Just watch the scene where the alien picks up one "unique" traveler, and the red blinking tail light just barely registers his face outside the van and we realize something is not right. Interesting this is basically the impetus that sort of forces Johansson's alien charachter to change her mind about her mission.

I wouldn't usually change my mind about seeing a film again that I didn't enjoy first time round, but after thinking on this (both from comments here and the other place), I'm going to give this one a second shot. Will most likely have to wait for the DVD release of course, but in typically Melly style, it looks like I've missed big chunks from my understanding on this one. See pop kids, this is what happens when you take on different viewpoints on film watching/appreciating.