View Single Post
Old 04.20.2015, 10:50 AM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I would have to say that I've been fortunate. My degree is in journalism with a minor in English, hardly the most lucrative of choices, on the appearance of it. But after a 10-year career in the air force, most of the rest of my working life has been as a paid editor and writer, mainly on salary with solid employers. Most of my experience has been in higher education and government; I was a writer and editor for a university relations office for a long time and for a while with the Forest Service, and I'm now what they call a "content developer" for a liberal arts college's alumni web site.

For a short time, I worked as a freelancer, and mostly because of my connections in the higher education world, I managed to make a very good salary.

I haven't gotten rich, by any stretch of the imagination. But I've never been without a paycheck and enough change left over to buy an LP or two now and then and a cup of coffee on occasion.

My advice, in hindsight, is to find an interest outside of writing and literature that you can write about, e.g., environmental science, politics, medicine, or whatever you find that you have a real passion for and that there is sure to be a paying readership (and publishers) for. Make that your minor or your other area of concentration so that you have some specialization to write about. I became fairly knowledgeable about environmental science and environmental issues in my university editor job, which put me in good stead for the position I got with the Forest Service.

That's my story in a nutshell, SonikJesus. I'd be happy to advise further if you have any questions.