View Single Post
Old 03.27.2006, 09:34 PM   #12
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I disagree. Noise is sound that is found to be unmusical or dissonant according to popular taste and traditional music theory. So birds chirping is noise, and a CD full of pneumatic drills and detuned guitars with feedback loops is noise.

And really, once something is decided to have artistic value, it really isn't noise, but music. Noise music is referred to as noise as the negative word other people apply to it. Experimental is a much more proper term.

Also, why do you feel a bird chirping is not artistic? If the first painter to randomly throw paint at a canvas was making art, than surely chaos's throwing a bird chirp into your ear it artistic.

So a "CD full of pneumatic drills and detuned guitars with feedback loops" that has "artistic value" is "experimental", but a "CD full of pneumatic drills and detuned guitars with feedback loops" that doesn't have "artistic value" is noise? Or are they both noise, but since the first has "artistic value", it's best not to call it that, because of the negative connotations of the term?

Anyway, about the birds. I love birds and read books about birdsong and stuff. But for me, art is something that humans do. Birdsong is beautiful and can be appreciated aesthetically, but it is not music. It's musical, but not music. How can birds chirping be "unmusical" and artistic at the same time? You say that birds chirping is "unmusical or dissonant", but also that it is "artistic". So is birds chirping "expiremental music" or is it "noise music"? Does it depend on the skill of the bird?
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|