View Single Post
Old 06.23.2015, 02:08 PM   #3971
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I am one of those who feel that re-reading this book is not only necessary but a pleasurable pursuit as well, a worthy way to spend one's time.

yes, with some books yes. but then don't you feel you outgrow some things eventually though? as a teenager i must have read demian & steppenwolf several times, as if trying to decipher a secret code. now i no longer feel i need them. same with with nietzsche which i read & reread & underlined & quoted for nearly a decade. now i feel i've outgrown him, in a way. borges too, i started reading him at 13 or 14 and i'd be absolutely enthralled. i enjoyed rereading him all the way through gradschool but then his style became too obvious to me, i can't explain. william blake-- i used to carry his proverbs of hell during college like a pocket knife, and for similar uses. now it's been years since i've felt the urge. things change.

of course with age one discovers new readings and meanings-- but eventually, i don't know, things become a part of us and we don't need to look at them from the outside-- we reformulate them internally instead. am i making sense? (doubtful, but there it goes anyway).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|