View Single Post
Old 10.31.2017, 09:20 AM   #805
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Video: “IS KANYE WEST THE MOST EGOTISTICAL RAPPER”
By: TheNeedleDrop

https://youtu.be/U9fAVowpiEo

This is pretty funny. I still don’t know how I feel about this guy, Anthony Fantano, because he’s such a dick and he’s *so* part of the problem with troll culture and “shitpost” culture that he really does skirt the boundaries of alt-rightism at times.

But... this is a look at the “most egotistical” rappers, based on some kid’s stat-music-blog. It’s extremely flawed from a statistical perspective because Chance the Rapper, with only one album and one mixtape counted, ranks at no. 10, while artists like Jay and Kanye rank slightly above him. If we’re really talking about comparing these results, then Chance would be at the top. You can’t say “this guy with ONE album is at no. 10 because he only references himself 6.5 percent of the time; these other guys are at no. 7-8 because they reference themselves 7 percent of the time OVER SEVEN TO THIRTEEN ALBUMS.”

Anyone see what I’m saying? It’s called a z-score, dickhead, and it’s really easy to find. It allows you to compare results like these directly, by assigning a weighted score that takes average over instance into account.
For a stats nerd, this guy (whoever made the initial post) who loves making graphs in SPSS certainly has neglected one of the most basic and essential tools in statistics — one that is totally essential to comparative and differential statistics in general, and it’s really the only way you could ever compare data sets as diverse as these.

It would be better to just pick an album to use as a sample, or perhaps to randomly choose, like, 10 songs from each artist. That would’ve smarter than comparing such grossly different bodies of work.

But whatever... Kanye only in seventh place (though he should be even lower), and Nicki Minaj at no. 1.

Weird sample. I wonder why Eminem wasn’t included. Seems to be totally rubric-free sample selection from what I can see, though it’s certainly not “random” as smart-guy Fantano repeatedly and erroneously states.

Blah!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|