View Single Post
Old 11.20.2013, 10:11 PM   #1211
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
While I think Killah Priest and Doley Bernays really released the year's best mix tapes, the two I've been most curious about (regarding "who will win in the end?") has been Chance the Rapper VS. TREE.

At first Tree was the underdog, and barely seemed to receive any recognition at all. Then something happened and people started paying attention, and I have no idea what it was, but Tree's fanbase grew a lot over the course of the year.

He's still nowhere near as popular as Chance, but that's because people like hype and bright colors, and have a harder time seeing the merits of muted earth tones and grind-influenced beats over a gnarly soul flow.

I vote Tree, but Acid Rap was a much more well developed concept with better marketing. More cohesive. More "progressive" and less street. Probably part of what makes it annoying to some of us.

I'm sad that nobody's expressing interest in Just In Time. Fucking really good, album-quality mixtape, forgotten in 5 minutes.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|