View Single Post
Old 02.21.2009, 09:05 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
It's not just "rock" that's regressive - a fair amount of current so-called "experimental" stuff is regressive too. Pardon me for digging up this old corpse, but personally, I'd label No Neck Blues Band as regressive, in that they quite explictly reference a lot of older avant-garde shit (AMM, Airway, Zoviet France etc etc). This is not to say that they are bad - far from it - but I honestly see them as almost harking back to a time of "purer" music (whatever the hell that is)...

The NNCK/ AMM connection is the tools of rock - NNCK are by no means avant-garde, but they are fucking awesome. I'm more interested in a band being awesome than I am them being avant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
why do people always think that artisitry is synonymous with breaking new stylistic ground? i think this is erroneous and bogus line of thought

Agreed. My point was more that there was a historical moment at which rock could've been argued to be avant-garde, in the purist sense - perhaps this was the beginning, perhaps it was Napalm Death (yes, I'm aware of Sore Throat et al), but I'm pretty confident rock has lost its ability to be beyond the zeitgeist. I'm happy to come across as a prick because I'm also happy to be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|