View Single Post
Old 03.10.2018, 12:21 PM   #49439
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
The black album was my first introduction to Metallica too. It's not a shit album like Sev says. The second half of the album (save for Of Wolf And Man) is whatever, but the first half? Man, I was obsessed with those songs when I was a teen. Having said that, I cold quite happily never listen to Nothing Else Matters again. The mopey "i'm in love and it hurts" ruined that song for me.

Some Kind Of Monster is easily one of the best documentaries out there. Easily. Just miss too much from cringing so much. Paying a psychiatrist $50,000 a week (was it that much?) to tell you how to get your shit together is next level stuff.

Live Shit Binge and Purge was great from what I remember. Say what you like about them, they know how to do a great gig.

Black is a finely mastered, effective pop album, where a bunch of thrash dudes who used to pound out Misfits and Mercyful Fate covers and go on political tangents and shun commercial radio and MTV decided they wanted to cash in on their huge cult folllwing by condensing epic songs down to verse-chorus-verse structures, stripping away all the dynamics, adding in a fucking ballad (cuz Mutt Lange) and effectively not being metal anymore.
That album was the beginning of the end. Not Load. Black.

It’s the metal equivalent of Modest Mouse’s “Good News For People Who Like Bad News” or Weezer’s “Green Albun.” It’s not the worst thing ever, or the worst thing they’d ever make, but it was a cash-in. Guitars and vocals were mixed to the front, movements were excluded completely, and all that was left was the crack cocaine version of what used to be some really bangin’ Bolivian marching powder.

No, it’s not total shit, but if they’d gone the other way and leaned in to the intellectual elements of their sound and tried to build on the great things about their early records, they could have done something really special. Instead they have one of the biggest selling albums of all time, and 80 percent of the people who own it are Motley Crue fans.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|