View Single Post
Old 04.03.2011, 04:03 PM   #6
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Anything off Alice in Chains' Dirt, with the possible exceptions of Them Bones and Rooster.

Mmm. Pretty much all of Alice In Chains' work contains a lot of references to dealing with drug-addiction, except when there appear a few bits and pieces in it inspired by some other fucked-up muses of Jerry Cantrell's, which some have had something to do with his father (for example, "Rooster"), and a few others with his own failure regarding personal relationships (for example, "Heaven Beside You"). Their first successful song, "Man In The Box", already hinted at the situation Layne Staley must have been going through in regards to consuming heroin, and it was released way before anything on "Dirt". It seems he became more of a junkie as time went by, and that certainly got reflected in his lyrics: "Rotten Apple", "Sludge Factory", "Head Creeps"... The lyrics on Mad Season's album, "Above", are not excluded of this same pattern, although i seem to remember Layne saying in an interview that the lyrics in that record weren't solely inspired by his own problems, apparently Kurt Cobain's death had some impact on the songs as well. "Wake Up" was one of my favourite songs written and sang by Layne Staley. I don't know what can i get off of it these days, though. It has been a long, long time since i last listened to it. So anyway, GeneticKiss, i think you are right in a sense, but still it seems very limiting to mention only "Dirt" in this context. These kinds of themes are prevalent even in Jerry Cantrell's solo albums (Listen to songs like "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes", "Pig Charmer", and "31/32" off of "Degradation Trip", if you already haven't; i'm sure you'd understand what i'm talking about). That current incarnation of Alice In Chains still have made lyrics about Layne recently, although i certainly do not recommend to pay any attention to those.