View Single Post
Old 04.06.2006, 11:10 PM   #84
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I will simply concur with aprogeny79, seeing as he put it so eloquently already.

That's capitalism, pure and simple. Having the ability to offer products at a lower price than at those of competitors, and providing a convenient, accessible, and legal way for consumers to obtain these products, is simply good business practice, and the management behind such tactics deserves praise, not condemnation (other issues like health insurance aside).

While I'm not lumping anyone from this board into this category, negative attitudes towards companies like Wal-Mart seem to have no other foundation than the current trend of opposing anything profit-motivated or blatantly capitalistic. While there certainly exists corporate bullying and monopolization, not every successful company falls under this umbrella. It is the inevitable result of an unregulated capitalist society which, for the most part, works to our advantage as consumers, as much as many leftists like to damn it.

Take the ever-fluctuating fuel prices, for example - while we have witnessed them skyrocket appallingly, such economic trends also instigate things like price wars. Neighborhood gas stations systematically lower their prices to gain patronage and beat out the competition, a 'game' which is largely responsible for making fuel affordable to the average commuter.

This concept is universal, and an economic rule - in a capitalist economy, it is only logical that if two merchants are providing the same goods in comparable environments, but one is doing so in a manner more affordable to consumers, that merchant will gain more patronage than the other and, consequently, be in the position to overtake the other merchant. Simple logic, and simple math.

Sure, mom and pop establishments have character going for them, but that's life, folks - if you can't hack it in the business, you get out.

I don't like that fuckin smiley face in the commercials either, but laundry soap costs a bomb every place else, and until I decide to go bohemian and stop wearing clean undies, Wal-Mart's the place for me.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|