View Single Post
Old 05.18.2015, 04:12 PM   #795
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Good questions. My thoughts: Don was really good at knowing what to use, even stuff he despised. He used the corny stuff of family life to sell all kinds of stuff, even though he didn't buy the family thing himself.

My feeling is that, yes, he may have found a little peace for himself in this moment of meditation. But he's also found the next thing he can use in advertising. He'll go back to his advertising job, or to another agency, or to work for himself, but he'll be successful by appealing to a new generation of kids. In fact, he may be the one to "turn on" his advertising cohorts to a new wya of advertising, and maybe he'll rise to even greater notoriety.

It's as if, to me, in that final scene his smile is less about personal enlightenment than about suddenly realizing that his career is going to be okay, at least for a while, like, ah, now I get it, now I see where my ad campaigns can go.

In other words, he's not going to change. Old Don, new advertising strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I think there is still enough the viewer can ponder in the final episode. Did Don become the type of person he seemed to despise in the earlier seasons? He was very critical of the counter-culture/hippie people he met throughout the series. He seemed to find that utopia idealism a fantasy. Did he become a version of Steve Jobs? He also didn't believe in only aiming marketing to the teenager/20-something year-old, but that Coke commercial embodies the hippiedom/counter-culture younger generation audience he seemed to always have disdain for.